Well, the famous guests arriving at Supanova this year keep getting better! www.supanova.com.au
Now, (and this is just in Brisbane) we’ve got:
- Hayden Panettiere (the indestructible cheerleader from Heroes)
- Morena Baccarin (“ambassador” Inara from Firefly(TV) and Serenity(movie))
- Richard Hatch (Captain Apollo in the original Battlestar Galactica, and Tom Zarek in the new show)
- Peter Facinelli, leader of the vampire clan in the movie Twilight
- Todd McFarlane (creator of Spawn and all those freaky McFarland Toys and comics)
- Eric Roberts (Heroes and Dark Knight)
- Jhonen Vasquez (Invader Zim)
- and a few others but I’m too lazy to keep writing this list…
So… after all these years I can finally ask Todd McFarlane- in person- how he got such an evil, twisted mind mwahahaha.
On the costuming front, it would take a miracle for me to have the tight abs I’ll need for the Samurai Xena costume, so I’ve been considering other options.
My Brisbane Sci-Fi crew are doing a team cosplay (thats when you all dress up as a famous team and do a skit on stage) of X- Men. It looks like I’ll be joining in the fun! (It’ll more than make up for me missing GenCon). Aside from the movies I know almost nothing of X- Men, so I have embarked on some X- Men research, and am reading a whole lotta comic books at the moment. I forgot that comic books are fun.
So that takes care of Sunday, I also need to pick a costume for Friday, Saturday, as well as my 90’s theme birthday party coming up. So many costumes, so little time!
Oh, before I forget, this year Madman Entertainment is sponsoring Australia’s first National Cosplay Championship! Cosplay tournaments have been popular in Japan for many years. I used to read about them in anime magazines like “Newtype” and wished we had something like it in Australia. Now we do. Hooray! www.madman.com.au/cosplay/
“Cosplay (or costume play) has been steadily growing in popularity over the years in various states across Australia, however, to date there has never been a chance for cosplayers to individually express themselves and be recognised on a national front. This is no longer the case as Madman Entertainment launches the first ever National Cosplay Championship in 2009.
Featuring a series of preliminary rounds that will be held in Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney and Perth at Supanova Expo and Adelaide at AVCON, this is a truly national championship, with all preliminary round winners competing in a national final in late 2009 for a grand prize of a trip for two to fly to Japan and attend the 2010 Tokyo Anime Fair…”